lördag 8 maj 2010

I'd like to order more Scott Grimes, please!

I'm starting a movement!

Well, I don't really know how to start a movement but I guess this post will have to do. I want Scott Grimes back on TV. He must be the most underrated actor on this planet. I don't know quite how to describe his talent, but I think the work he has done will be a sufficient representation.

I first discovered Scott Grimes when he appeared on ER and I was probably one of the few people who liked him from the start. Because, even though his character, Archie Morris, started off as an annoying, incompetent, and sad excuse for a doctor I somehow took a liking to him. For one simple reason and that is the brilliance of Mr. Scott Grimes. Here's a guy who takes on a role and is given crappy material (sorry ER gods, but it's true) and somehow manages to transform an insignificant filler character to a man who becomes the heart of the show. No matter how much you want to you can't credit the writers for that. Sure, they improved the material and gave the character more dept (in fact, Archie Morris was probably the character that evolved the most in the series long 15 year run) but if it hadn't been for Scott Grimes' devotion to the character it wouldn't have worked. His acting skills made us believe that his character could make a complete 180 in personality and when many stars left prior to the last season he stepped up to the plate with ease and carried the show to its graceful exit. That's one great actor!

Now let's discuss what is probably his greatest role yet. Donald Malarkey on HBO's miniseries Band of Brothers. Nevermind that it's the best representation of WWII events that has ever been made to date, Scott Grimes' part in it is breath-taking. His character is one of the few who's in it from start to finish, appearing in all 10 episodes. Although, never the focus of an episode, he's a real scene stealer. The character in himself is a really interesting person (I have long been wanting to read the autobiography of Donald Malarkey) but he would be nothing without the performance of Scott Grimes. Again, I have to reiterate how much his acting skills contribute to this character. I'd also like to ask you to not take this as a belittlement of the character, because like I said he is one of the more interesting characters. I'm simple saying that his role in the series might have gone unnoticed had it not been for the strong performance given by Scott Grimes. Again, that's one great actor!

Seeing Scott Grimes in these two roles promted me to seek out his other roles. I've seen a few episodes of Party of Five where he appears. I was surprised to hear that he was in this show since it's one that I was devoted to as a pre teen. I never really noticed him, but I guess he didn't really come in to his own until Band of Brothers and ER. A role I do remember seeing him in was in the movie Mystery, Alaska, but I believe I saw that after I found him on ER. Now, it has been a while since I saw the movie but I have vague images of him in the locker room in his hockey gear and out on the ice. I have the movie at home and will have to rewatch it. I'm pretty sure he's not the guy who gets hit in the crotch with a hockey puck ( I believe that's a scene from the movie but I might be thinking of another one, correct me if I'm wrong). I believe those are the roles I've seen him in but I'm planning on seeing more of the old stuff. I would especially love to see Critters, it would be interesting to see little Scotty Grimes at the start of his career.

I've never really watch American Dad but I know he does one of the voices. But I also know that it's distorted and I prefer to hear his real voice. Especially when he's singing, Because let's not forget that not only is he an amazing actor, he's also a talented musician with one of the best voices I've heard in my lifetime (I just heard his new song "What love is" today and I love it). In fact, he might be my favorite male singer of all male singers. Him or Josh Groban, I can't decide. They're both so very talented.

So this is my official demand for more Scott Grimes. I can't wait to see him in Robin Hood (a movie I've been looking forward to see since I heard I was in it) and I would love to see a live performance of his music. But that's not enough. I want more. It might be greedy but I just want the world to see what I see: A truly talented actor who can make magic happen with any role that's given to him.

Long Live Scott Grimes!!!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar